|1||onion – finely diced|
|6||carrots – sliced (5mm thick)|
|150g||shallot – rings|
|20||rubbed pink peppercorns (skin only)|
|1 pinch||saffron stamens|
|25g||Hidaka or Ma konbu|
|salt and milled white pepper|
- Place the onion, carrots and spices into a saucepan and add the vinegar, sake, mirin and soy. Cover the ingredients with kitchen paper, place a lid on the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and kitchen paper and stir well to ensure even cooking then add the shallot rings, pressing them under the liquid with a spoon.
- Place the pieces of konbu on the top and add the olive oil.
- Cover again with the kitchen paper and lid and continue to simmer for a few minutes until the carrots are cooked.
- Remove the lid, discard the kitchen paper, star anise and bay leaf and pick out the cooked konbu.
- Cut the konbu into thin strips and stir back into the escabeche.
- Serve the escabeche warm with grilled mackerel, sardines or poached octopus.
Serve it chilled with slices of shime saba or kohada. (see recipe – Fish)
- The escabeche can also be served warm or cold as a salad or side dish.